Monday, April 8, 2013

Essay Packet #2 Response

Savich- Crumbling Expectations- The way this short story begins tends to confuse me a little bit. Its like the story has already begun and the reader was just thrown into the middle of it. As a continued reading things started to smooth out and become a little clearer, still not knowing what exactly it is I am reading. The line "the book defeats itself for the things that make books worth having." I thought this was a very unique line, something i had never heard before or thought of. Also the line "as i had decided that talking to myself was the best way to learn to be a writer." This line made me think as how the author came up with this rationale, how can talking to one's self be the best way to learn as a writer? The very end of this story made me smile for about five minutes, the part about re-enacting the actions he had once read in a book.

Prevallet- I dont know where to begin with Prevallet's short stories. Like savich's story, i once again found myself lost reading the first few synthesis. What i did like is how each one was different, from "Mythology" to "Dream" and I love how Prevallet found a way to place poems into the story. I found it interesting how the author went into great detail about the life and death of a horsefly. It really opened up my eyes to see that writing can be about ANYTHING! There is nothing too big or too small that one cannot write about. I think this is what I learned from reading Prevallet's story, I love how there are totally different styles of writing throughout these few pages. I believe that Prevallet is one of the best writers whose work I have read throughout this class

1 comment:

  1. good responses here the past 3 weeks...sorry I got behind in reading. You are doing a good job reading the essays and responding using specific examples, etc. You could go a little further to expand and explain a bit more. Keep thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete