Monday, March 25, 2013

Maps to Anywhere response

How to draw- I think this short story is filled with an abundance of context. Its so much in this short story that i don't know where to begin. At first I admired the concept of the narrator describing all of the education and experience he has had with art and explaining that he admires the art of amateurs more than professionals. I thought this was pretty interesting because most would oppose to this and think that a amateur artist is not even comparable to someone who gets paid millions of dollars for a painting.

I also found it intriguing when the narrator described his life experiences with his teacher whom he claimed would never master hands. This one line made me think about all the people who told me I couldn't do something, its funny how something so small can take you back to big memories in your life. The teacher whom told the narrator he would never master hands was indeed wrong like the narrator said, I believe this because art is how individuals perceive things, and this varies from person to person.

Last I thought the picture that his brother drew before dying was very significant, the picture is more than just a picture it means much more. For one it is a visual of what his brother was thinking, going threw and his perception of his last moments of life. The picture is not just a picture to me it is a memory of the last picture his brother ever drew, i find it hard to believe that the picture was torn out and crumbled up like that, if that was a picture my brother had drew while on his death bed, i would have cherished that picture for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment